- CBeebies; andys-adventures; death; nature; vegetarianism
For some reason, perhaps a reluctance to deal with death, virtually all characters on CBeebies are portrayed as vegetarian, even some unlikely ones:
- Doodles, the crocodile from Tilly and Friends eats mainly apples;
- Captain Barnacles, Kwazii, Peso, and Shellington from Octonauts, despite being animals that would love a fishy snack (respectively: polar bear, cat, penguin, and sea otter) seem to survive mainly on seaweed, algae, and biscuits;
- I have yet to see Big Bear from Everything’s Rosie attempt to eat Raggles; and
- Even the humans and dragons in Mike the Knight seem to eat mainly berry pies.
Pretty much the only programmes that show or imply the consumption of meat (with the exception of nature programs like Andy’s Wild Adventures) and cooking shows (I Can Cook / Big Cook, Little Cook) are Woolly & Tig (Tig eats fishfingers in several episodes), Charlie & Lola (who eat sausages quite regularly), and Peter Rabbit (Peter and his friends under threat from Mr McGregor and Mr Todd).