- Toby Inkster
- spicy; mexico; casserole; chilli; tortilla; recipes; tomato
Chilaquiles is a sloppy tortilla casserole.
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- oil... and lots of it
- 400g fresh tomatos, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 hot chillies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 250 mL chicken stock
- 150g grated cheese
- 250 mL creme fraiche / soured cream
- 1/4 cup fresh corriander, chopped
- salt and pepper
In batches, fry the chopped tortillas until they are golden, but not yet crisp. Allow to drain on paper towels.
Pour out most of the oil from the pan and fry the onion and chillies for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato, marjoram, stock, salt and pepper and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly - about 5 to 10 minutes.
Place the fried tortilla strips on top of the sauce and press down lightly. Sprinkle cheese over. Cover the pan and simmer until the cheese melts - about 5 minutes.
Spoon creme fraiche over the top and sprinkle on corriander. Serve.
Hint: Soured Cream
To make soured cream, add a few drops of lemon juice to double cream and stir in with a fork. Yes, this really does work!