This is a very easy Italian-style meal of my own creation, combining gnocchi with a simplified sugo all'amatriciana. If you prefer, macaroni or another small, cut pasta could be used in place of gnocchi.
- 500g pack of gnocchi
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 6 rashers of pancetta, or 4 rashers of unsmoked streaky bacon
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2—3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- a small handful of parsley, chopped
- black pepper
- 150g mozzarella
Preheat an oven to 190°C.
Prepare the gnocchi according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and set aside.
Dice the pancetta or bacon and fry with the onion, garlic and chilli. When cooked through, add the tomatoes, black pepper and parsley. Simmer for ten minutes.
Stir the gnocchi into the sauce and then transfer the mixture to a large ceramic baking dish, such as one suitable for making lasagne. Pat down and flatten the surface using the back of a wooden spoon.
Scatter torn mozarella over the top of the dish and bake for 30—40 minutes.